Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Snail's Pace.

I'm still sloowly accomplishing things around here.  I posted last night, but the internet ate it somehow. 

Yesterday, I managed to get henna applied to my hair and Maggie's hair.  No pics yet, but if you want to see my hair before, you can look at the jam-making post again.  I had Laural bleach the back underside and the underside of my bangs.  I did like the platinum blonde, but it was a bit too contrasty with the rest of my hair.  I had contemplated letting the henna color grow out, but then when it does, I remember just how mousy blond-brown it is.  Auburn with orange highlights is more my style.

I had a few minutes to myself while Liv prepared supper.  She insisted that she could make spaghetti without help.  I was in the middle of cutting and sewing some cloth napkins when she came in and asked if it was all right to put in the tomatoes before the sausage.  Oh, I hoped that didn't mean what I thought it did. 

"Did you already put the noodles in, and the sausage is raw?"  I asked.

Yes, that is what happened.  How were we supposed to cook the raw sausage and not mush-ify the noodles at the same time?  I told her to spread it all in a baking dish, cover with cheese, and bake it for a long time.  Supper was an hour later, and it was good, and I don't think we'll get worms.  Hooray!

Also, napkins.  I hate using paper towels, since we'd go through ten rolls a week if we used them for napkins.  We could tear them in half, like my grandpa always did, which is a running family joke.  We could use our dish-cloths, but they are ugly and usually mostly need washed at all times anyway.  I especially love to see my offspring using their shirts as a napkin.  Mostly Ivy, but I've seen them all do it to some degree. 

I used this tutorial, the one with un-mitered corners.  Mitered corners are pretty, but square corners are faster for the win.  Thanks to the raw-meat spaghetti, I had enough time to make six napkins:
Notice that I chose dark, busy fabrics.  That's so they won't look gross as quickly as white cloth napkins.  We're realistic around here.

1 comment:

GlowWorm said...

I bet the sausage tasted extra good since it got to soak up all the saucyness while it cooked.

and awesome job on the napkins. I've wanted to make some for awhile. Isla is starting to crawl around happily for short bursts. maybe I'll manage a sewing day soon.