Toby and I have kicked around the idea of having some livestock, but we always get bogged down by business. If we have to travel to a show, who will care for them? Our family has been caring for a large half-Siamese, half-fluffy cat for several years, and we've managed him okay. Maybe, just maybe...later when we're not so busy.
Our family has made several steps toward growing and making more of our food, and procuring it locally whenever possible. We sound like such yuppies. What I mean is that I'd rather give my food money to the guy who produced something by the sweat of his brow than to the Walmart corporation, who make money by being Nazis to their employees.
Even better, of course, is to make our own food by the sweat of our brows. Progress made: we recently acquired chickens, 25 or 26 of them (they don't hold still, and many look alike). Now we're discussing finding a dog to protect the chickens. I've realized that I don't actually dislike dogs, as I previously thought. I just don't like misbehaved ones.
The thing is, I want a dog that will (non aggressively) scare people who don't belong here, protect kids and chickens, and be laid-back and calm. Toby's sister has a Great Pyrenees who is a really nice dog. The larger animal guardian dogs tend to be naturally protective of livestock and gentle with kids. I hope that we don't manage to find the only one with the temperament of a chihuahua.
Art History Sunday: The Blind Girl
8 years ago





















No comments:
Post a Comment