Monday, February 8, 2010

Still Waiting...

In a monumental effort to distract myself from worrying about when the bank or realtor will call us today, I'm making plans to make plans.  We need to stick to our Dave Ramsey approved budget every week, with the prospect of two house payments looming before us.  We got in the habit of spending more every week on groceries before Christmas, it's past time to only spend what we plan to spend every week.  Every budged advice article out there suggests having a menu plan for the week, and sticking to it when shopping and cooking.

First, I'll tell you why we haven't done it already, besides general laziness.  As evidenced by the fact that a week ago I wasn't really looking for a house or property to buy, but today I'm placing an offer, we are spur-of-the-moment types.  We want to do whatever, whenever.  With a busy home/internet business, five kids, Primary Counselor Calling, bouts of major/seasonal/postpartum depression, and all the rest of the things that keep us busy all the time, lots of things are not getting done.

This week, I pledge to take cash to the grocery store.  I will use my calculator and list to add up what everything going into the cart will cost.  Then, we will stick to some fairly flexible kind of menu plan.  Off to plan said menu and shopping list.  Maybe it'll be a cute little chart I can post, but more likely it'll be a blah excel spreadsheet.

No comments: