Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Blessing and a Curse.

We blessed Lochlan this morning at church. We had to actually be there ON TIME, and we made it, and it wasn't majorly stressful. Ivy clung to Toby's leg while he blessed the baby, because when he blessed Ivy, Maggie screeched and Ivy cried and no one heard the blessing at all. So we took the path of least resistance this time.

The Dooleys blessed their adorable little baby girl, too. She looked so nice in a frilly white long dress and bonnet. I realized when Toby held Loch up for congregational approval that I forgot to put his little Aunt-Sherrel-knitted booties on. Instead, he was barefooted. By the way, I always love the pleased sigh that everyone gives the new babies. I wonder how many people were wondering if his feet were cold? I could assure them that as a legitimate McDonald baby, he was toasty warm.

I always invite my family to come for baby blessings, and I was glad they came. I would have liked to bear my testimony, but was too busy juggling Lochlan's feeding needs and Maggie's urination needs. Liv did, though. She is blessed with self-confidence that I envy. Livvie even bore her testimony in Utah at Tyler and Michelle's Fast Sunday service. Way to be!

I could have used some of that confidence in Primary, where it was my turn to give the lesson for junior and senior primaries. Lots of workers were absent due to a new baby that unites two large clans. The lesson itself went well, but then I had to conduct some songs, since there was NO ONE ELSE. I know lots of the primary songs now, but they all fled my memory, leaving me gripping the podium and sweating while blushing fiercely and trying to read the songbook.

My mother and grandmother and sister all have beautiful singing voices. I was in band every year in high school and played trap-set drums, so I'm not completely rhythmically uncoordinated. I can sing, but not well, and not in public, and apparently NOT while trying to count time. I remember squawking out the wrong lines to the song while flapping my hand in the air demonically. I could only be more embarrassed if I had peed myself, or profaned.

1 comment:

GlowWorm said...

I'm sure it wasn't that bad. Definitely better than wetting yourself! lol.