Friday, August 21, 2009

A Quite Random Pile of the Things We're Up To.


Well, the kids are back in school. We've had to drive them three times already for missing the bus because we (the responsible parents) slept in past bus time. If we're late enough, we have to accompany them into the building in shame and sign them in. We have to fill out a paper for each kid with slots for name, time, and reason for being late. By the end of the quarter, we have a neat blackmail paper filled out with each time we've been crappy parents in the past.

My favorite part is the "reason for lateness" column. I usually just put "late," because it's none of their business. I would like to write:

New Baby
Bad Choices
Hangover
Sex
Laziness
Meth Lab Blew Up
Voices
Mormons Don't Adhere to Your Schedule
We've Decided to Homeschool for the First Twenty Minutes Only
Issues With Authority

Oh, the fun we'd have, until they sicced Child Protective Services on us. By the way, in case you were wondering: yes, yes, no, yes, yes, no, no, yes, no, and yes.

Where was I? Olivia has become obsessed with audio books, and she doesn't want to lie on her bed and stare at the ceiling. Instead, she ambles about the house cleaning it. I said CLEANING IT. Like, spontaneously. Um, without being asked. WHAT THE CRISPY CRAP? I think it's awesome and a little freaky at the same time. But on the other hand, my bathroom is spotless, and I have proof of mirror-polishing. (See above.)

We've committed to a Utah trip, leaving in two weeks. Mostly, we want to see family and show off our sweet little boy.


I just like the way he looks with a bunch of bananas....

BREAD! I managed to bake for the second time since Lochlan was born. I'd like to get back to regular baking because store bread is what it is.

I just heard of literal music videos. Basically, someone rewrites the lyrics of a song to describe what's happening in the music video, scene by scene, then overdubs it and posts it on You Tube. Most really suck. I think "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (by Bonnnie Tyler) and "Anything for Love" (by Mr. Loaf) are painfully funny: "Emo Kid is throwing Slo-Mo dove in my face, I guess that means that he just flipped me the bird." Humor me and watch the first one at least. Oh, and also watch David Hasselhoff singing "Hooked On A Feeling."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Literal Music Videos! :)

Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears is awesome! :) Cracks me up every time I watch it...

That's great that you have a cleaner on your hands! :) AWESOME! :)

Mindy said...

I love your reasons that your kids are late for school. You should use them next time you have to sign them in. :)