Thursday, June 18, 2009

Refried Dang Quesadillas


We eat a lot of dang quesadillas around here. I try to keep lots of the cheap but tasty shredded mozzarella on hand from Sam's club, where we also get tortillas. If we're feeling adventurous, we put lots of goodies on them, like leftover chopped meat or vegetables. We eat them for breakfast a lot, too, and those are usually plain because nobody has the capacity to fancy it up in the mornings.
Yesterday, Toby made some quesadillas for breakfast, and they were just plain cheese. But when I ate one, it was really good. Better than usual, I mean. The cheese was chewier and tastier somehow. Toby had a breakfast brainstorm and tried a new way to cook the quesadillas, and it is seriously lovely, and not a hassle at all. This technique probably works better with a non-stick or seasoned cast-iron surface.Put a bit of butter in your pan (or electric frypan). Let it melt into a pool of bubbly goodness and slap a tortilla down on it. I swirl the tortilla around a bit so it's evenly coated. Then sprinkle on a healthy dose of the cheese of your choice. Let it get nice and melted into a cohesive mass, while the tortilla turns golden brown and delicious. Now, here's the secret: flip it. Flip so that the cheese has a chance to brown and develop a nice bit of chew.

We didn't have problems with sticking. Just work your spatula around the edges, gradually making your way to the center.
Then turn it back over and fold it in half. Serves less than you think it will. I took pictures this morning, and after writing this post, returned to the kitchen to see that I'd missed my chance and all the quesadillas were gone. I had to make one for myself.

This girl was sitting in the kitchen at the time, munching unobtrusively on a quesadilla while working on a sudoku puzzle. She has a little book of them that someone gave her, so we sat down last night and figured out how to work them. I like that there's problem-solving involved, and no buttons or glowing screens in sight. I found out later that she was eating the quesadilla Toby left out for me!


No comments: