Thursday, January 16, 2014

End of an Era.

I'm the type who has trouble with endings.  Those parenting books which talk about how to transition your kid to a new activity?  They were written for people like me.  I go all toddlery when I have to stop doing what I'm absorbed in or used to.

Today is the first Thursday of my sister's internship for college.  She currently cuts hair for a living, and has always had one day of the week free and worked on Saturdays.  We all meet at my Mom and Dad's house, about five miles from here.  That means my entire family, with few exceptions, has been all together once a week for several years now.

There are only four of us, in my family, and I know that in a larger one, or one that is more widely spread, this would not have been possible.  Toby is one of eight kids, and it has been a few years since everyone was all in the same place at the same time.  (We may get them all together when Levi returns from his mission in India in a couple of months, so high-five!)

What have we done with our Thursdays?  Nothing spectacular, usually.  Laural and I have gone to Kansas City a few times.  We always try to go between our birthdays (early September and mid-October), unless the Halloween corset rush makes it impossible.  We missed this year entirely due to Halloween and my enormous pregnancy at that time.

Mostly, though, we have just hung out at Mom and Dad's house.   We eat and watch TV and just do nothing of importance.  But we've done it together.  Now things will be more difficult.  Instead of a standing Thursday date, we'll have to plan things. 

Don't get me wrong, I am super excited to see Laural graduate and find a good job.  I just don't like change.  It makes my blog whiny.


No comments: