No, not Twilight or Bonnie Tyler related. I was reading a kids' book called "The Moon Book" at bedtime the other night. It has facts like how big our Moon is, how it might have formed, how far from Earth it is, and so on.
When we got to the section on Solar and Lunar eclipses, I told them when the next solar eclipse would be visible from our area (I was wrong, by the way. I thought it was 2027, but there are solar eclipses expected in 2017, then 2024 and 2045). See this NASA map for details.
Anyway, we were thinking it was in seventeen years, not seven. Then we started wondering how old we'd all be by then:
Toby and I will be 48.
Olivia will be 27.
Hollis, 24, the age I was when he was born.
Maggie will be 22, Ivy will be 20, and even Lochlan will be 18.
I spend a lot of time wishing the kids were more independent, and able to do things for themselves. I wish Loch would not need to be carried all the time to be happy. I get so tired of the constant cleaning and tending and wiping and fixing that five kids require.
Oh, what a difference seventeen years would make. Will they all be gone from us by then? I am not ready for that.
It's so hard to enjoy some aspects of parenting in the moment, because there is always so much to be done, and it's overwhelming most of the time. Here's to having fun with the kids a little every day, not just waiting for when I have time. Because I never will have time, if I do it that way.
On the other hand, children are a huge compensation for the dreaded march of time. If we didn't get older, I'd never get to see what kind of people these kids will be. Maybe it's crazy or egotistical, but I think they will be interesting adults, and I hope that we all still want to hang out with each other as much as possible.
Tonight, we're taking them fishing. Because childhood is short, but parenting is forever.
Art History Sunday: The Blind Girl
8 years ago





















1 comment:
Thanks for this, Jill. Sometimes (always) I need a reminder.
Post a Comment