
We've been listening to Dave Ramsey for two years now, and trying our best to get out of debt and spend wisely and save our money. Check out his website here. Dave's plan is pretty simple, using seven steps to get you on the right track.
7 Steps:
| $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund | ||
| Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball | ||
| 3 to 6 months of expenses in savings | ||
| Invest 15% of household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement | ||
| College funding for children | ||
| Pay off home early | ||
| Build wealth and give! Invest in mutual funds and real estate |
Thanks to Dave, we had our $1000 emergency fund in place, and were in the process of paying down our debt. We have paid off our two smaller credit cards in the last six months, and now only owe Lowe's and Home Depot. I really can't think of money that gave me more joy than sending the payoff amount to a card and thinking, "Now they can kiss it!"
Anyway, yesterday our dishwasher gave up the ghost. Toby checked it out, and it could not be fixed. So last night we loaded the kids in the van, drove to Joplin, compared prices, and bought a new one. The great thing is that this was an inconvenience, but not a disaster. We'll just put all our efforts and extra cash back into the emergency fund, then go back to serious debt reduction. By the way, I know a dishwasher isn't a necessity, but we barely keep up with the dishes as it is, so it's either sew less or have a dishwasher.

I talked to my friend Lucy last night, and when I told her about the dishwasher, she reminded me how broke and unhappy we were two years ago. We've changed a lot of things since then. We now work with Michelle, making bodices full-time. Our income is better and more stable than it was when Toby worked construction. Toby and I get to spend the days together doing something that is getting our family on the right track financially. Things aren't perfect, but they are getting better. It's so awesome to see that doing the right thing pays off sometimes.





















2 comments:
Awesome!! One of Ben's instuctors at OCS recommended Dave's book and we are following the plan now too! I am so excited about getting debt free.
To me, any time you have more than 2 people in a house, a dishwasher is a necessity!
Great for you guys on getting out of debt.. I need to be better at that!! :)
Post a Comment